Tuesday, January 20, 2015

 

Seven things that worry me when we disagree...

There has been a lot of discussion in the church recently about what God expects us to believe, what about when Christians do not agree about Scripture, and how to exist in fellowship when we do not agree.

As I listen to people with various views, there are a few things that bother me.  So here are seven things to be wary of when talking about what Scripture means.


Be careful about anyone who insists that Scripture is clear about every issue.  That is simply not true.  Divorce, worship, women's role, church organization, end times theology,..well, you get the point.  I doubt I can find two Christians anywhere who will completely agree on every aspect just of these issues.  Much less all the others I could mention.

But also be wary of those who think we cannot agree on anything.  Not true.  There are things absolutely clear in Scripture.  There are many things about Jesus, salvation, Christian lifestyle, and living in community that are spelled out in ways that are not open to interpretation.

Be very concerned about people who claim to speak for God in areas He did not speak.  People who insist they know what God wants, or means, or condemns -- you better be able to show where God said it clearly.  Implications, applications, and interpretation are not the basis for absolute statements about what God means and wants.

I am never comfortable with proof texts.  You know how that works.  You explain or define the position, then use verses to prove your position.  That is why I like textual study much more than topical study.

Watch out for one verse wonders.  These are positions that take one verse and use it as a trump card over all other verses.  Unless God says this is the most important, or greatest, be careful.  And God does say that about some things.  But be careful prioritizing verses in ways God did not.

Stop the conversation when anyone implies -- or says -- that you would agree with them if you just cared enough about what God says.  If we study together and still don't agree, don't judge.  God will sort it out.  But do not judge someone by implying they do not care about God's Word.  At the same time, don't insult God's people by implying only professional preachers and teachers can understand what God means.  I love people that give their lives to study. I have gained great insight into Scripture from teachers and preachers.  But I sometimes feel like I am in discussions with people who want to chain my Bible to the pulpit so simple people like me will not get confused.  Paul was a great theologian and scholar.  He did amazing work in Acts.  So did Peter.  He was a fisherman.

Never judge someone's heart by saying they do not love God or his people if they do not agree with you.  Some of the most passionate, committed Christians I know do not agree with me on any number of things.  Not loving God will show up in how people live.  I am not sure it shows up in doctrine or theology.  So again, do not judge someone by saying they do not love God or his people when they do not see things your way.

Finally, I do not think all doctrine has equal weight.  Salvation theology is more critical than worship theology.  What Scripture says about how to live as a Christian is more important that how your church is organized.  What you believe about becoming a Christian would seem to have much greater consequences than what you believe about music in worship.  There are things I believe are so important that we cannot be in fellowship if we do not agree.  There are other things that I am convicted enough about that they influence where I worship.  And there are things that we just disagree on and still are able to live in community.

Salvation issues, fellowship issues, agree to disagree issues.  Draw your lines where God draws them.

You may disagree with everything i have said in this blog.  That's your prerogative.    These are just a few things that I have thought about as I listen to Christians discuss (or argue) over their differences, and I am just thinking thru them.  But I do know that we better be very careful about destroying the unity of the body of Christ.

So God help me understand what matters to you.  Give us all wisdom.  Thank you for being patient with us.  Especially me.



Comments:
Amazing how the "Good News" divides us more than unites us. Maybe that is the double edge sword that is mentioned.
 
What about being worried when people who disagree with the official line are publicly condemned to hell? Having been on the wrong side, I gave up discussing many issues knowing it would accomplish nothing useful.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?